Oral Cancer Screening – Early Diagnosis is Key!
Detecting oral cancer early is critical. Symptoms of oral cancer include a sore throat that doesn’t heal, a lump, or a white or red patch on the inside of the mouth. Navesink Dental Care performs an oral cancer screening with every dental exam.
Oral cancer strikes over 40,000 Americans annually, killing over 8,000 Americans each year. Smoking, using chewing tobacco and heavy drinking are the prime oral cancer risk factors, but many people diagnosed with oral cancer have none of these risk factors.
During your dental exam, our Red Bank dental team of Allan Ruda, DDS and Beth DeAngelis, DMD, will discuss your health history and perform a visual inspection of the mouth and palpation of the jaw and neck. To help easily distinguish between common lesions and the more lethal cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions, a biopsy may be performed.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer:
- White, red or speckled patches in the mouth
- Pain in your ear
- A sore throat that won’t go away
- Numbness or loss of feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing, or speaking
- Changes in your voice or feeling “horse”
- Sores on the face, mouth or neck
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Weight loss