Have a Bright and Healthy Smile This Holiday
It is no easy task to maintain healthy habits during the holiday season! This time of year is full of indulgent holiday parties with tempting foods and we are so busy shopping and gift wrapping that we often forget to devote time to maintaining our families’ healthy routines.
Navesink Dental Care has come up with a few tooth-friendly tips to help you and your family take care of your smile this season.
- Stocking stuffers are a great way to give dental hygiene products such as an electric or traditional toothbrush, floss, etc. If you are putting candy in your stockings, try to stick to chocolate as it does not stick to the teeth as much as hard or chewy candies. Even healthier dried fruits can stick to the teeth just as much as chewy caramel!
- Sweets are inevitable this time of year. If you choose to indulge, it is best to have sweet treats during or shortly after mealtime, as our saliva production is increased during this time and helps rinse away some of the sugary food particles that are left on the teeth.
- We all could use an energy boost during the holidays, but try to avoid sugary sodas and energy drinks. It is best to stick to water! You can add citrus, berries, and mint to enhance the flavor and to add a festive touch. As for alcohol, limit your alcohol intake and drink water alongside as too much can cause dry mouth.
- Avoid opening gifts, bows, knots, etc with your teeth. You could crack a tooth, injure your jaw, or swallow a foreign object.
- For a whiter smile in seconds, try wearing a red lipstick that has a blue undertone. These colors play a trick on the eyes and makes the teeth appear whiter and brighter!
Finally, to ensure you stay mouth-healthy throughout the entire year, stick to your routine! We recommend two visits per year complete with exams, x-rays, and cleanings.
Also, don’t forget to maximize your FSA! If you have a dental benefit plan or a flexible spending account, don’t leave money on the table going into the new year! Call our office at (732) 419-5704 or click here to schedule your next appointment!